Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Oasis® W-2s and 1095-Cs

W-2s and 1095-Cs

  • How do I Retrieve my W-2/1095-C?
    Please note: If you registered to receive your W-2/1095-C electronically, you will receive a notification when they are available. If you elected to receive your W-2 via regular mail, it will be mailed prior to January 10, 2020. The deadline for address changes was January 17, 2020, and the W-2s were mailed to the address in the payroll system at that time. Due to the heavy volume of the U.S. Mail being delivered during this time, it is recommended that you allow 7 – 14 business days for final delivery.
  • W-2/1095-C Electronic Retrieval Instructions
    Log into the Employee Services Website.
    Click on “Current Year W-2” under Featured Links
    Click on “View W-2” Link
    The W-2 will open in a new window where you can print it immediately or save for future access.
    This form will be available to you until December 31, 2020.
  • W-2/1095-C Hard Copy Retrieval Instructions
    If you did not elect to receive your W-2 electronically by January 10, 2020, it will be mailed to you prior to January 31, 2020, per IRS guidelines.
    If you need a copy of your W-2 prior to receiving it in the mail, please follow the instructions above to retrieve an electronic version by “Creating an Account.”
  • Do I have to be registered on the Oasis® Employee Services Website to access my W-2 electronically?
    Yes. The W-2 can only be accessed directly through the Employee Services Website.
  • How do I sign up to receive my 2019 W-2/1095-C electronically?
    Enrollment is quick, easy and secure! To register, click here. After logging into the Employee Services Website, please click on W-2/1095-C Services. Follow the step-by-step instructions to create your own personal User ID and Password. After you create your User ID and Password, you will have the option to elect to receive your W-2 electronically. When the W-2 is available, you will receive an email with a link to the website where you can log on and retrieve your W-2 at your convenience. Save your W-2 on your personal computer for easy retrieval and never pay a reprint fee. If you elect to receive your tax statement electronically, you will NOT receive a paper copy in the mail. This registration applies to all current and future tax statements. You may follow the same process for receiving your 1095-C. Click here to learn more about the 1095-C.
  • If I didn’t register for electronic delivery, how can I get a copy of my W-2?
    Even though you didn’t register for electronic delivery you can still log on to the Employee Services Website, setup your account and retrieve the form electronically.
  • How can I register to receive my electronic W-2 in the future?
    You may register for your 2019 electronic W-2 at any time. The registration carries over from year to year so there will be no need to register again once you have registered.
  • Who receives a Form 1095-C?
    Applicable Large Employers (ALEs), or employers with 50 or more full-time equivalent employees, are required to send Form 1095-C to all full-time employees, as well as part-time employees who averaged 30 or more hours (ACA eligible) during a look-back measurement period, and any employee who was enrolled in their health insurance plan. So if your employer is an ALE and you were a full-time employee, part-time ACA eligible, and/or were enrolled in health insurance through your employer at any time during the tax year, you should receive a Form 1095-C.
  • What if I don’t receive or can’t find my W-2/1095-C?
    Electronic W-2s are free of charge and can be retrieved at any time from the Employee Services Website. 1095-Cs can be retrieved free of charge at any time from the Employee Services Website.
  • What if I moved or need a correction to my W-2/1095-C?
    If you need to have your W-2 or 1095-C reissued, the following options will be available to you by going to the Employee Services Website. Under Featured Links, click on W-2/1095-C Services and then “Request a Correction.” Reissues can be mailed or immediately viewed/printed online (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader). Mailed requests via the Postal Service will take up to 10 business days.
  • How do I make name, address or Social Security Number changes?
    Please verify that your name, Social Security Number and address are accurate. You may update your address by registering to use the Employee Services Website. Any written changes must be mailed to Oasis, a Paychex® Company, 2054 Vista Parkway, Suite 300, West Palm Beach, FL 33411 or faxed to 866-641-3398. You may also give changes to the payroll contact at your company who can submit them electronically to Oasis. All changes must be received prior to the end of the current tax year. A copy of the Social Security card is required Social Security Number changes. All paper W-2s will be mailed prior to January 31st for the previous year, in accordance with IRS guidelines, to the employee’s address on file as of year end.
  • If the address on the W-2 is wrong, can I have a W-2C processed to correct it?
    No. The address on the form has no impact to wages or taxes and therefore would not require a W-2C. The IRS matches name, SSN, Employer Name, EIN, wages and taxes only. If you are filing on tax software, you will enter the correct address into the system.
  • How long does it take to receive a W-2C?
    Once the correction request is received the corrected the W-2C should be completed within 3 business days and will be mailed that same day. The U.S. mail can take up to 7 days to deliver the corrected statement.
  • How do I get a copy of a deceased spouse’s W-2?
    We would need proof that you are the executor of the estate in order to release a copy of the W-2. You can also request a copy from the spouse’s employer directly.
  • What if I don’t have access to the internet?
    You can go to a local library or any other establishment that offers WiFi connections. You can contact your employer after February 16th to request a copy as well.
  • Do you have additional questions or need assistance?
    Please call 866-641-8699 from 8:00 A.M. EST to 7:00 P.M. EST. Please note: W-2s are also referred to as W2s.